Another early Terry Hunt photograph, probably also from around the time of the First World War. As with the view in the opposite direction, the buildings within the Market Place have been redeveloped, but those in the background have mostly survived. The present National Westminster Bank is a listed building and was built to the design of F.Chancellor in 1862.
The marble base was added to the impressive lamp standard in 1903. It was a gift from John May, the brewer, to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII. It is reported that most of the information on the four brass plaques fixed to the new base related to the May family, with just an incidental mention of the coronation. When it was removed in the 1960s it was apparently the intention that it should be stored at the Town Yard at Eastrop until a new site could be found for it, but it was never seen again.