Westbury Manor in 1933
With its 17th century core, classical Georgian façade and elegant Victorian rear, Grade II listed Westbury Manor is one of Fareham’s finest and most distinctive buildings. From farmhouse to council offices and even air-raid shelter, Westbury has undergone a number of transformations. After falling into disrepair during the 1980s, Westbury Manor was renovated and converted to its current day use as a local museum in 1990, supported by a generous bequest from local resident, Miss Winifred Cocks.
Admiral Sir William Loring and family
Find out about some of the people who lived and worked in Westbury Manor as you tour the museum. With its proximity to Portsmouth, Fareham was a natural place for naval personnel to settle, and between the late eighteenth century and mid twentieth century, Westbury Manor was home to six admirals. It was also owned by three generations of the Kelsall family; in 1905, the Reverend John Kelsall wrote The Birds of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, a book still used by birdwatchers to this day.
Westbury Manor’s beautiful gardens are designed to reflect both the Victorian era – the time of the building’s greatest change – and the global travels of its naval inhabitants. Laid out as a compass, many of the plants in the garden are inspired by the Victorian passion for collecting curiosities from overseas, and the compass points are represented by exotic species from South East Asia, the Pacific, China and North America.